The ice ridges on Lake Baikal in Russia’s eastern Siberia is probably one of the most amazing and it adds upon the list of one of the natural wonders of the world.It is probably a wonder with residing at least for 20 million years holding one-fifth of the world’s fresh water.
Turquoise Ice in Northern Lake Baikal is located in Siberia of Russia which is the largest freshwater lake on the planet containing at around 20 percent of Earth’s freshwater.The surface of the lake is 31,722 square kilometers which is the size of both Denmark and Belgium while its shore length is 2000 kilometers and the maximum depth is about 1642 meters.Also,it is one of the oldest lake and home to thousands of varieties of plants and animals and about 1600 species are native to the lake.
The water of Lake Baikal is a popular one as it is clear.In the winter,the lake freezes which results to a spectacular phenomena like large broken glass type of transparent ice forms are formed on the surface of the lake which appears to be very amazing.These strange ridges are bright turquoise ice formations from which it gets the name.Also,due to freezing,the ice layer expands and it cracks unevenly which results a splendid view.It looks like an artwork.
The appearance from above the water just looks like pieces of glass while from the bottom,it looks like it forms some mineral formations from another planet.These ice cubes are formed on the surface of the lake for four months from January to April.In March,the view is perfectly stunning as the water completely goes frozen.
We can see clearly 120 feet below from the surface.Mostly,this natural phenomena occurs at the time of March.Due to the intense pressure petrified to the glacial ice,it is very dense so that there is no air bubbles present here.So,the natural blue color of water is visible in the ice.
The cracks and breaks in the ice ridges is due to the wind and temperature differences,frost and sun and it forms shiny and transparent in turquoise ice color which looks like broken ice rising up to the sky.
Lake Baikal is said to be the real jewel of the Planet.The lake can be crossed by foot easily when it freezes but if running ,sometimes it may lead to frostbite and hypothermia.Also,the photo shoots there is too difficult and dangerous and they need to be more careful.
Tourists are attracted to this Lake Baikal for its natural wonder and also for its special tours and some adventurous ones like going to subzero temperatures in a wet suit so that we can experience the turquoise ice.
Baikal is also known as the Big Sea for its size and its popularity as it is 70 kilometers wide to the eastern shore while 30 kilometers to the western shore.From eastern shore,we can clearly see the ice formations while from the western shore,hills are perfectly visible.
A cave is seen in a waterfront rock where walls of the cave are covered with two meters of thick ice and hundreds of icicles hanging from the top which is an attracting beauty.There is a Cape Hoboy which has the largest ice hummocks.It is really amazing to imagine the way how the ice ridges have been piled one upon another.The breaking of one meter thick ice in Lake Baikal is magnifying and also terrifying sight.
- Lake Baikal is the deepest lake on the planet and also one of the prominent landmarks of Russia and also the world.
- Lake Baikal is declared as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996.Lake Baikal is considered as one of the largest reservoir of fresh water.
- Lake Baikal is used as a biological filter as water in the lake contains more oxygen concentration.
- The lake has 336 flowing rivers into it through a single outlet which is the Angara River.Scientists believe that if the rivers of this lake stops,even then,the River Angara has the ability to continue its flow for 400 years without any difficulty.
- The interesting fact is that this lake shows any signs of aging but the depth does not decreases.
- It is said that Baikal demands land of two cm every year and is believed that it is an emerging ocean.Lake Baikal is a home to around 2600 fauna with its unique biodiversity.
- If the whole of Baikal water is freezed and cut into ice blocks of size 1 cubic kilometer ,the line stretches from North Pole to the South Pole and also 2.5 thousand kilometers from the South Pole.
- No swimmer has ever crossed the Baikal lake due to its typical temperatures and unpredictability.
The Lake Baikal totally is a beautiful and amazing one which has a special charm of attracting tourists due to its perfect landscape.The ice hummocks are the beautiful ones to view which is never found anywhere but here.