One of the favorite hobbies or past time of some Filipinos, especially the younger generation is “malling” or “window shopping”. They enjoy mall hopping or just stay in one mall. They went to the mall not only because they want to buy something, but because they just want to enjoy the beautiful displays, cool atmosphere, and a chance to meet friends as they stroll and hang at the mall.
The Philippines have many shopping malls or department stores. These malls or department stores have a unique structural and architectural design. To give you a glimpse of where to go when you like to shop or just go “malling”, here’s some of the list of the best malls in the country:
1. Shoe Mart (SM) – SM North Edsa is the first Mall that was put up in our country. After its opening, other malls were introduced into all parts of the Country. SM has put up many branches all over the Philippines. People from all walks of life visit and enjoy shopping in this mall because Shoemart has got almost everything they need at an affordable price. SM has many built in stores and boutiques where you can also choose a wide variety of clothes and accessories. It has also many food chains and restaurants where you can indulge yourself with superlicious foods of both local and international cuisine. SM can also provide you total entertainment because of their games arcade.
2. Robinson’s Place Manila – This mall is located at the heart of the Malate-Ermita border. It is the favorite place where students, professional, tourists (local or foreigners) love to hang out because the place can cater to everything they need.
3. Glorietta - it is a large shopping mall in Ayala Center in Makati City. The mall consists of many shops and boutiques where you can purchase anything you need restaurants, cinema screens, a gym, arcades and an atrium where special events are held.
4. Robinsons Galleria – a large shopping mall located at EDSA
5. SM Mega Mall – another Shoemart branch which is located in Ortigas, the business district of Metro Manila, Philippines. It is also considered as the third largest shopping mall in the country and the 7th largest shopping mall in the world.
6. Gateway Mall – is a shopping mall complex in Araneta Center, Cubao, Quezon City. Gateway Mall was 2006-2007 shopping mall of the year. It has more the 300 shops and restaurants, food express, cinema and games arcade.
7. Shangri-La Plaza – is a classy shopping mall located in Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong City, Philippines.
8. TriNoma – also referred to as the Triangle North of Manila, is also a large shopping mall located in Epifanio de Los Santos Avenue (EDSA) Quezon City.
9. Greenbelt – is located at Ayala Center, Makati City. It is the country’s first Premier Lifestyle Center that caters to the multinational consumer a high quality, specialty shopping, dining and entertainment.
10. SM Mall of Asia - is the second largest shopping mall in the country. It is located at Bay City, Pasay City.
11. Festival Supermall – It is one of the biggest sprawling malls in the Philippines and is considered as an international shopping destination in the country. Other special features that make Festival Supermall the best mall in the Philippines are: It is the first Theme mall in the Philippines; The first mall in the country with a train and rail track running through its hallway; the only mall in the country with 2 indoor theme parks; it is also the only mall in the world with a garden and natural creek that passes through its buildings; It has also the largest mall garden in the world.
12. Alabang Town Center – Is another sprawling shopping complex with Spanish ambiance. It has a great selection of shops and boutiques. It has an indoor laser shooting amusement center where shoppers can visitors can have total fun and entertainment. The Central courtyard with plants and water features are also great.
13. SM Seaside Cebu City – Another SM mall which is set on a picturesque seaside location. It has the largest roof deck garden in the Philippines. It has also recreational areas like an Olympic sized ice skating rink and bowling alleys and an IMAX theater.
14. Ayala Center Cebu – It is a mall with different frontage designs. It has two main department stores, Metro Gaisano and Rustans.
15. Ayala Center, Cagayan De Oro City – is another Ayala mall located in the “City of Golden Friendship”. Its main stores are Robinsons and Rustans. Ayala Centrio has an activity area which is a popular venue of some important events and celebrations.
16. Lim Ket Kai Center – is a sprawling mall which is located in Lapasan, Cagayan De Oro City. The whole area is composed of different shops and boutiques, food chains and restaurants, movie houses world class hotels (like the Luxe and Mulberry Hotel) and a games and entertainment arcade. Its main department store is Robinsons.
17. Abreeza, Davao City – is developed by Ayala Land and is the first Ayala Shopping mall in Mindanao.
18. Gaisano Mall, Gaisano Grand City, Gaisano Department Store – Just like Shoemart, Gaisano has already many branches all over the country. It is also a one-stop-shop which caters to the needs of the people for food, clothing, shoes, hardware and school supplies. It has also other stores and boutiques which offers many things at a low price.